[Met_help] [rt.rap.ucar.edu #84890] History for ref: Questions: TCPairsETCConfig vs track_and_intensity.conf

John Halley Gotway via RT met_help at ucar.edu
Wed Jul 10 16:39:17 MDT 2019

Good afternoon,

My name is Steve Lilly.  I am working on the "extratropical cyclone" track
and intensity
project (w/Guang Ping Lou).  I am testing Guang Ping Lou data files
using MET+.

I am currently looking at the following configuration files:
    track_and_intensity.conf; and,
    TCPairsETCConfig.

Inside "track_and_intensity.conf" file: You have the following
parameter:
  TC_PAIRS_CONFIG_FILE = {PARM_BASE}/met_config/TCPairsETCConfig

then a couple lines down you are ask to fill in the following parameters:
 # The init time begin and end times, increment, and the last init hour.

      INIT_BEG = 20141214
      INIT_END = 20141216
      INIT_INC = 21600
      INIT_HOUR_END = 12

BUT:

Inside "TCPairsETCConfig" file just provides TCPairs default values. Right?
So, if you define INIT_BEG; INIT_END...you override the default values.

Question 2:  If you  are considering extratropical cyclone over a given
month
(say April); but only have reports for 3days out of 30 days(say 10th, 11th
and
12th) would MET accept the following values (without introducing errors):
       INIT_BEG = 20180401
       INIT_END = 20180430
       INIT_INC = ?????
       INIT_HOUR_END = ??????????
I not sure what the 21600 for INIT_INC or 12 foor INIT_HOUR_END means.

Question 3: Do have documentation describing these various config/ush files
which I can access online?

Thank you for your patience, time and attention to this matter.

Steve