[Met_help] [rt.rap.ucar.edu #88209] History for Question about Mode Time-Domain 2D output files

John Halley Gotway via RT met_help at ucar.edu
Wed Jul 10 16:39:12 MDT 2019

Before I start, I want to thank the met_help office (especially John
Gotway) for the quick help over the last few weeks with my many MTD
questions. Hopefully this is my final question. This question is
regarding the 2d output files for MTD (mtd_..._2d.txt).

Does the 2d output file contain attribute information for the object
_clusters_, in addition to the attributes for the simple objects? I
noticed that the 2d output file follows the format of first outputting
lines for each simple forecast object (at each valid time), followed by
outputting lines for each simple observed object. However, I also
noticed that after these two blocks, two more blocks (again with
forecast objects first followed by observation objects) occur where the
object_id always matches the object_cat. When adding up the area in the
simple objects (first two blocks), they match the total area for the
corresponding objects in the last two blocks. Thus, I believe these
attributes in the final two blocks are for the observed and forecast
clusters. However, it is a little confusing to me because these blocks
still show object_ids such as F001 and O002 which indicates simple
objects. Thus, I wanted to confirm this information with you.

I have attached an example of my 2d output file. The block of interest
that I believe corresponds to the forecast cluster attributes starts on
line 765.

Thanks!
Sam Degelia