[Met_help] [rt.rap.ucar.edu #87409] History for Question on X-axis labelling of time series

John Halley Gotway via RT met_help at ucar.edu
Wed Jul 10 16:43:19 MDT 2019

Hi, there,

A user is plotting time series of data and has a question about plot label
formatting.

The current default way of plotting time on the x-axis is, for example
2018-08-01 00:00:00, which takes up a lot of room on the plot.  We want to
be able to change the format to something like 2018080100, or at very least
get rid of the minutes and seconds for a cleaner plot.

Is there an easy way to change the plot labels on the x-axis?  I know that
you can do it with using the plot labels on the FCST_VALID_BEG variable,
but for a month's worth of data there are 744 values, and it's very tedious
to go and change every single one.

Alternatively, is there a way we can control the plot label so that it,
say, plots every 5 days at 00Z so we can go back and change the plot labels
of just a few values?  I know there is a "frequency" tab on the X axis
controls, but I'm not entirely sure what that frequency refers to.

Thanks for any assistance you can provide!

Perry

Unfortunately we don't have a better way to change x-axis labels other
than using "Plot val" fields. Or specify which labels to plot.

Frequency field is used to calculate the grid line locations. For
example if x-axis has 10 values and the frequency = 2 than the grid
lines would be on positions 1,2,4,6,8,10.

Tatiana

From: perry.shafran at noaa.gov
Time: Wed Oct 17 06:46:55 2018

For a time series, when I set frequency=2, it only seems to plot one
value,
the first one, and none thereafter.  I understand that when you have
time
on the x-axis that it doesn't plot every single one because each label
takes up space, but if I specify the frequency to, like, 10, it should
plot
every 10 positions.

Perry

On Tue, Oct 16, 2018 at 5:33 PM Tatiana Burek via RT

> Perry,
> Unfortunately we don't have a better way to change x-axis labels
other
> than using "Plot val" fields. Or specify which labels to plot.
>
> Frequency field is used to calculate the grid line locations. For
example
> if x-axis has 10 values and the frequency = 2 than the grid lines
would be
> on positions 1,2,4,6,8,10.
>
> Tatiana
>
> On Tue Oct 16 12:52:38 2018, perry.shafran at noaa.gov wrote:
> > Hi, there,
> >
> > A user is plotting time series of data and has a question about
plot
> label
> > formatting.
> >
> > The current default way of plotting time on the x-axis is, for
example
> > 2018-08-01 00:00:00, which takes up a lot of room on the plot.  We
want
> > be able to change the format to something like 2018080100, or at
very
> least
> > get rid of the minutes and seconds for a cleaner plot.
> >
> > Is there an easy way to change the plot labels on the x-axis?  I
know
> that
> > you can do it with using the plot labels on the FCST_VALID_BEG
variable,
> > but for a month's worth of data there are 744 values, and it's
very
> tedious
> > to go and change every single one.
> >
> > Alternatively, is there a way we can control the plot label so
that it,
> > say, plots every 5 days at 00Z so we can go back and change the
plot
> labels
> > of just a few values?  I know there is a "frequency" tab on the X
axis
> > controls, but I'm not entirely sure what that frequency refers to.
> >
> > Thanks for any assistance you can provide!
> >
> > Perry

I just used your email to create a new issue in GitHub for your
request:
   https://github.com/NCAR/METviewer/issues/85

Please read through it to make sure it accurately describes the
functionality you'd like to see in METviewer.

From: perry.shafran at noaa.gov
Time: Mon Oct 22 13:37:08 2018

Hi, John,

Yes, I do believe this accurately describes what I was looking for.
Especially the ability to change the time format to something like
YYYYMMDDHH one time instead of having to do it for every single time,
which
is tedious if you have several hundred to a thousand times selected.

Thanks!

Perry

On Mon, Oct 22, 2018 at 3:33 PM John Halley Gotway via RT