[Met_help] [rt.rap.ucar.edu #78366] History for metview plotting

John Halley Gotway via RT met_help at ucar.edu
Wed Jul 10 16:43:27 MDT 2019

Hi there,

I'm trying to plot out time series of RMSE of NAM geopotential height
versus radiosondes. But the results didn't come out right. I am attaching a
screen shot so that you may find where the problem is.

 Thanks much!
Guang Ping Lou
EMC/NCEP

I was not be able to open metview.xps and identify the problem.
Please, provide a screen shot of the plot in a different format - pdf
or any of image formats.
Alternately, you can provide XML file with plot's configurations or
the title of the plot.

Tatiana

From: Guang Lou - NOAA Affiliate
Time: Mon Oct 24 10:52:44 2016

Hi Tatiana,

Thanks for replying to my email. I am attaching a word XML file. Note
that
I've cut short of the dates listed.

Thanks,
Guang Ping Lou
EMC/NCEP

On Mon, Oct 24, 2016 at 11:49 AM, Tatiana Burek via RT

From: John Halley Gotway
Time: Mon Oct 24 12:32:16 2016

Hi Guang Ping,

This is John Halley Gotway.  Tatiana and I have been looking at the
issue
you found.  Thanks for letting us know about it!

We were able to replicate the behavior you described and diagnose it
as an
overflow problem in the METViewer code.  The partial sums for the
100mb
heights are very larger numbers which caused the overflow.

The good news is that Tatiana is able to fix it pretty easily in the
development version of METViewer.  She will include the fix in the
next
release of METViewer, version 1.9, planned for later this week.

In the meantime, we have a workaround for you.  Look in the box
labelled
"Statistics" at the bottom of the METViewer page.  Switch the radio
button
to select "Summary" instead of "Aggregation Statistics".  Click on the
dropdown menu and select "Scalar partial sums (SL1L2)".  And select
the
plot statistic as "Mean".

Then try remaking your plot.  Do you now have non-zero RMSE values?

When working with SL1L2 data, you have 2 choices for how to process it
with
METViewer:

(1) Aggregation Statistics
Aggregate multiple SL1L2 lines together and then derive a single
statistic
for that aggregation.  This is what you had been doing.

(2) Summary
Derive a statistic for each SL1L2 line found and then plot the mean or
median of those statistics.  This is the way I described above.

Since you're plotting a time-series of analysis SL1L2 data, you only
have 1
SL1L2 line per valid time.  So (1) and (2) should yield the same
result.

But suppose you have 1 month of SL1L2, option (1) would aggregate the
results over the entire month and yield a single RMSE value.  Option
(2)
would give you daily RMSE scores and plot their mean or median.

Why does this matter?  If "N", the number of fcst/obs pairs remains
constant, both (1) and (2) (with a mean) should give you the same
score.
But if the sample size changes from day to day, then the results of
(1) and
(2) will differ.

Hope that helps clarify.

From: Guang Lou - NOAA Affiliate
Time: Mon Oct 24 13:12:23 2016

Hi John and Tatiana,

Thank you very much for sending me a temporary fix in plotting out the
curves and clear explanation in doing so. You made my day!

Best,
Guang Ping Lou
EMC/NCEP