[Met_help] [rt.rap.ucar.edu #85000] History for Support for Sea Ice verification at EMC

John Halley Gotway via RT met_help at ucar.edu
Tue Jul 9 12:06:55 MDT 2019

Bob,

Transferring this into met_help (met_help at ucar.edu) to facilitate better
support.  Including excerpts from previous emails to point us all in the
right direction.

John wrote a question to me about the values over land. Please see below
and let us know if we are reading the file correctly.

Also - please feel free to reply here with paths to other sample files here.

met_help at ucar.edu is also the best way to get help with setting up and
running MET on WCOSS and Theia.

Cheers, Tara

On Thu, May 3, 2018 at 3:18 PM, John Halley Gotway <johnhg at ucar.edu> wrote:

> Seems to work fine:
>
> /usr/local/met-7.0/bin/plot_data_plane eng.grib2.20180503
> eng.grib2.20180503.ps 'name="ICEC"; level="L0";'
> convert -rotate 90 -background white -flatten eng.grib2.20180503.ps
> eng.grib2.20180503.png
>
> John
>
> On Thu, May 3, 2018 at 1:12 PM, Tara Jensen <jensen at ucar.edu> wrote:
>
>> Hi John,

On Wed, May 2, 2018 at 10:31 AM, Robert Grumbine - NOAA Federal <
robert.grumbine at noaa.gov> wrote:

> Hi Tara,
>
> The sea ice data are in ASCII (Arctic buoy program), BUFR (passive
> microwaves), GRIB2 (ice concentration / cover analyses), and netcdf
> (coupled model outputs).  Cryosat doesn't provide near real time ice
> thicknesses/freeboard, and, iirc, neither does Altika or the other
> altimeters, but, to the extent we get them, they're BUFR. iow, mostly
> standard formats already familiar to everybody.
>
> Copies of the operational ice concentration analysis are in
> ftp://polar.ncep.noaa.gov/cdas/ -- the '5min' files are the high
> resolution, preferred, files to work with.  Grib2 copies.  There's a longer
> archive in the subirectory 'archive'.
>
> Thanks,
> Bob

Tara Jensen
Project Manager II
NCAR RAL and DTC
PO Box 3000, Boulder, Colorado 80307 USA
+1 303-497-8479          jensen at ucar.edu