[Met_help] [rt.rap.ucar.edu #88472] History for Question on how to use climatology in grid_stat

John Halley Gotway via RT met_help at ucar.edu
Tue Jul 9 12:07:11 MDT 2019

Hello MET support,

I am with the Global Modeling and Assimilation Office (GMAO) at NASA. We are interested in using MET for some verification metrics in GEOS5 model development. Therefore, we have begun experimenting with the MET software package. Currently, I have encountered a problem using grid_stat, whereby the error message is:

WARNING: read_climo_file() -> Trouble reading climatology file "/discover/nobackup/projects/gmao/g6dev/sdrabenh/validation_data/merra2/MERRA2.monthly.198001-201706.var-T.nc4"

The grid_stat executable completes but ignores using a climatology. The basic setup is the forecast (version of GEOS5), observation (ECMWF interim), and climatology (MERRA2) are all gridded netcdf files. The MERRA2 climatology already has a precomputed monthly mean (and std dev if necessary) so NO time averaging is needed. My intent was for grid-stat to read the specified climatological mean variable and level just as is. However, I cannot seem to get grid_stat to do this. Is this possible? If so, how should I change my configuration options? Please see snippets from my config file below. I look forward to any help you could provide.

Thanks,
Scott Rabenhorst

My config ----------------------------------------------------

fcst = {
   file_type = NETCDF_NCCF;
   field = [ { name = "T"; level = "(0,0,*,*)"; } ];
}

obs = {
   file_type = NETCDF_NCCF;
   field = [ { name = "t"; level = "(264,36,*,*)"; } ];
}

climo_mean = {
   file_name = "/discover/nobackup/projects/gmao/g6dev/sdrabenh/validation_data/merra2/MERRA2.monthly.198001-201706.var-T.nc4" ;
   field = [
      {
        name       = "T";
        level      = "(252,0,*,*)" ;