[Met_help] [rt.rap.ucar.edu #85187] History for ref: Seasonal cyclone track errors - winter 2015

Julie Prestopnik via RT met_help at ucar.edu
Tue May 22 13:56:20 MDT 2018

Good morning,

I have been trying to regenerate the winter 2015 track
errors ( Jan.-Mar.) for the GF (similar to the output on the
following website: " Hhttp://www.emc.ncep.noaa.gov/
mmb/gplou/emchurr/verify/clim/p_err1_2015.png ".  However, I believe
the ush "cyclone_plotter_wrapper.py"; or, " tcmpr_plotter_wrapper.py"
( which I do not have the ability to execute at this time)  is needed in
order
to make a comparison with the the Seasonal graphic.  What additional codes
does tcmpr_plotter_wrapper.py and "cyclone_plotter_wrapper.py required
 in order to execute these codes?

I have been able to create a "TK_ERR_boxplot" which contains
the extratropical cyclones during the 3 months for forecast hours
12hr 24hr 36hr...120hr (see attachment).

For example: winter season of 2015 (Jan. Feb. Mar.) GFS model only
 (see attachment " TK_ERR_boxplot.doc "

My understanding is that a "single" track error value (average/mean)
 based upon all the extratropical storms( during the 3 months period) for a
given forecast hour is(12hr; 36hr; 488hr; 60hr...12ohr) are plotted.

Just a couple of quick questions (parameters in metplus_final.conf)

1.  INIT_TIME_FMT  ( what does FMT stands for?)
      Is the above parameter the same as INIT_BEG?
        ie: INIT_TIME_FMT = 20150101
            INIT_BEG = 20150101

2. NO_EE = No   what EE?  what if the ans is Yes

3. NO_LOG = No
      I'm thinking that NO_LOG = No     This means do not print out a log
         Yet, I am writing to a log file???

4. SAVE = No    This seems to be saying not to save the data (input/output)
                         However, I am saving output data; as well as,
input data.
                         But, am I saving all the data output?

In other conf files, I notices parameters which has "= No" or "= Yes".
  Does No means "do not activate / don't used / don't print"; while,
   Yes means "activate/use/print

  5. produtil.setup.setup(send_dbn=False, jobname='run_to_pairs')

send_dbn=False means output is not sent to production --> however, is the
           ush ( tc_pairs_wrapper.py ) executed.   If executed, will the
output
           file be written to a directory?

          =True    the output is sent to production and written to an
output directory

 Does send_dbn means sending the output file to "Production"; or, does it
just mean writing the file to an output directory.

Thanks,
Steve