[Met_help] [rt.rap.ucar.edu #88095] History for MET-TC homogeneous verification issue

John Halley Gotway via RT met_help at ucar.edu
Tue Dec 11 11:26:09 MST 2018

I have been trying to do a homogeneous track comparison with tc_stat, but I
keep ending up with too many cases.  I did a simple test case and found
that MET-TC is verifying forecasts from the adeck file that were issued at
times *prior* to genesis (ie. where storm classification is "DB" at hour
0).  I am using the "column_str" flag to filter out any lines where the
storm is classified as DB, but this does not take care of lead times where
it is classified as a real storm and that particular forecast started with
a "DB" classification.  It is NHC policy to *not* verify such forecasts at
all since they were issued prior to genesis.  If I use the "init_str" flag
in addition to the "column_str" flag, I get their intersection, not their
union, so I end up with more cases at each lead time than I should.

./tc_stat -lookin $inp -job summary -by AMODEL,LEAD -column ${field} -out
$out -event_equal TRUE -column_str LEVEL TD,TS,TY,TC,HU,SD,SS,ST -init_str
LEVEL TD,TS,TY,TC,HU,SD,SS,ST

I am wondering if there is a way to get the union of init_str and
column_str or some other way to avoid including forecasts that were
initialized prior to official storm formation as well as those times when
the storm was classified as "DB".

Thank you,
Shannon
--