[Met_help] [rt.rap.ucar.edu #87959] History for METviewer: (event) equalizer

John Halley Gotway via RT met_help at ucar.edu
Mon Dec 10 15:04:17 MST 2018

Hello.  A question about METviewe event equalizer: in an interactive
METviewer plot such as for the attached xml, what I'd like to do is to
make sure that only stats for the forecast cycles where all models' data
are present are used.  NAM/GFS stats for FSS06h are computed out to 84h,
CONUSNEST is out to 60h and HRRR out to 36h, so I don't want to
"equalize" the FCST_LEAD.  Looks like I cannot check the "Equalize"
button next to FCST_VALID_BEGIN and "FCST_LEAD" directly - need to check
"Event Equalizer", which then turns on all the "Equalize" buttons.  I
can then un-check the "Equalize" box next to the "FCST_LEAD", but
whether this box is checked or not, the score plot will only go out to
36h (the forecast lead time where all four models have in common).

Question: does "event equalizer" button override all other equalizer
buttons - when it's on, all the fixed values/independent variables must
equalize?  On the interactive METviewer, there is no way to turn off
"event equalizer" while leaving some other equalizer on.  I did try to
1) click on the "event equalizer", 2) un-select the "equalizer" next to
"FCST_LEAD", then save the xml, edit it to set event_equal to "false"
while leaving field equalize="true" for fcst_valid_beg_0, then upload
the xml.  It seems to work - the plot produced would show NAM/GFS out to
84h, CONUSNEST to 60h and HRRR to 36h, but then all the "equalize"
buttons would be unchecked, even the one next to FCST_VALID_BEGIN, so I
don't know that the resulting plots are from forecast cycles where all
models are present.  What's the proper way to make sure that the
consistency check is done for model run cycles (fcst_valid_begin), but
allow the plot to show different forecast lead times?

Thanks!

Ying

--
Ying Lin
NCEP/EMC/Verification, Post-processing and Product Generation Branch
Ying.Lin at noaa.gov