[Met_help] [rt.rap.ucar.edu #80369] History for Creating a derived variable for verification?

John Halley Gotway via RT met_help at ucar.edu
Thu May 4 15:34:17 MDT 2017

Can I create a derived variable and do model verification using that
variable?  For example, I really want to verify the wind speed forecast.  I
can create wind speed with my ugrd and vgrd that I pull out of the prepbufr
file (sqrt(ugrd^2+vgrd^2)), and can create wind speed from the GFS forecast
files a similar way.  If I create wind speeds like this, can I use these
variables with the point-stat tool?  If so, what do I need to do to be able
to do this type of verification?

thanks,

Roz

--