[Met_help] [rt.rap.ucar.edu #80360] History for questions with using point data and the nearest neighbor setting

Tara Jensen via RT met_help at ucar.edu
Thu May 4 14:52:47 MDT 2017

I'm trying to do a verification between ASCAT satellite point data of 10m
winds (u and v), in a swath, against 10m u and v winds from the
gfs.tHHz.pgrbf00 file.  I've converted the ASCAT data from prepbufr data to
netCDF format, and verified that the data is in the file, both through
plotting and through ncdump.  I don't want to regrid my winds.  I want to
keep them as point data, and compare them to the closest GFS grid point.

So, I'm trying to use the Point-Stat tool, with the nearest neighbor
setting.  I've used these settings:
model = "GFS";

regrid = {
   to_grid    = NONE;
   method     = NEAREST;
   width      = 1;
   vld_thresh = 0.5;
}

wind_thresh = [ >0.0, >=1.0, >=5.0, >=8.0 ];

fcst = {
   field = [
      {
       name  = "UGRD";
       level = "Z10";
       cat_thresh = [ >=5.0 ];
     },

     {
       name  = "VGRD";
       level = "Z10";
       cat_thresh = [ >=5.0 ];
     }
   ];

}
obs = fcst;

message_type   = [ "ASCATW" ];
// Verification masking regions
//
mask = {
   grid    = [ "FULL" ];

// Interpolation methods
//
interp = {
   vld_thresh = 1.0;

   type = [
      {
         method = NEAREST;
         width  = 1;
      }
   ];
}

//////

and the rest of the settings remained as I found them when I copied the
PointStatConfig_tutorial from the default config file.

So, this runs correctly, and produces all the necessary files that I asked
for, but, there is nothing in the files, because there are no matches.
That's hard for me to believe that there aren't any matches, so, I know
that I have something set wrong.  My guess is that either the name  =
"UGRD"; and level = "Z10"; is incorrect for 10m winds, or the method =
NEAREST; width  = 1; is wrong.

How would I check on the name and level?  And, is there a better setting I
should use for width?  Or, is there something else I need to set?

Thanks in advance!

Roz

--
Rosalyn MacCracken