[Met_help] [rt.rap.ucar.edu #79765] History for MET MODE

John Halley Gotway via RT met_help at ucar.edu
Wed Mar 22 10:33:32 MDT 2017

Attached is a plot made by MET MODE.

(1) How histogram is created? (if it is from MET MODE).

(2) How colors of objects and corresponding numbers are made differently?

Thanks

Yongzuo

Subject: MET MODE
From: John Halley Gotway
Time: Fri Mar 10 13:35:08 2017

Yongzuo,

That histogram is not generated by the MET software.  It looks to me
as
though someone at your institution is over-laying some bar graphs on
top of
the first page of the PostScript output generated by MODE.  So I can't
offer any help with that.

The colors of the MODE objects indicate merging within the same field
and
matching across fields.  The two green objects in the forecast field
are
merged together, and the same is true in the observation field.  And
the
group of green forecast objects (i.e. cluster object) is matched to
the
group of green observation objects.  Likewise, the red objects are
matched.

The blue forecast object is unmatched.  We chose the color blue for
unmatched objects so that they don't blend into the black map lines.

The choice of colors is pretty arbitrary.  When assigning object
numbers,
MODE searches from the top-left corner down to the lower-right.  Each
time
it hits a "new" object, it assigns it the next integer.  Those
integers are
mapped to colors using the "object_plot.color_table" entry from the
MODE
config file:

object_plot = {
   color_table      = "MET_BASE/colortables/mode_obj.ctable";
}

You're welcome to change the colors in the color table file in
whatever way
you'd like.