[Met_help] [rt.rap.ucar.edu #77170] History for Fwd: ACC [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]

John Halley Gotway via RT met_help at ucar.edu
Fri Sep 2 12:10:19 MDT 2016

There's a statistic called anomaly correlation coefficient and there are a
couple ways to calculate it. One is "centered" and one is "uncentered" .
I'm intestered in the "centered" one because that is what NCEP uses.  It is
also used in Krishnamurti et al (Eqn. 7).   The Wilks textbook has them
both and so does Jolliffe and Stephenson (2012).

In MET, right now it only has the "uncentered" version.  In other words it
does not remove the average deviation from climatology as the "centered"
version does. Willks explains how they are different and so does Jolliffe
and Stephenson (2012).

Any possibility of adding the "centered" version?
By the way, I think Beth Ebert's web page has it slightly wrong. But I've
already told her. :)

Dave