[Met_help] [rt.rap.ucar.edu #78332] History for the "missed " samples for CTC calculation for the composite reflectivity observation.

Julie Prestopnik via RT met_help at ucar.edu
Fri Oct 28 11:08:49 MDT 2016

Dear Mr. or Mrs,
I have a problem using Met _grid state to obtain the CTC for the composite
reflectivity.

>From the output of met_grid_stat, the numbers for dbz observation >20  are
always 0 (namely, numbers for ify_Oy and ifn_OY are always 0).  By wgrib2
seeing the observation file, I know there are maximum refc values larger
than 60dbz.  so, there should be  other problems with my use of the
metradar tool.
In the Met running, there were warning message:
^^
WARNING:
WARNING: Multiple GRIB2 table entries match lookup criteria (parm_name =
REFC):
WARNING:   parm_name: REFC, index_a = 0, index_b = 16, index_c = 5
WARNING:   parm_name: REFC, index_a = 0, index_b = 16, index_c = 196
WARNING: Using:   parm_name: REFC, index_a = 0, index_b = 16, index_c = 5
WARNING:
WARNING:
WARNING: Multiple GRIB2 table entries match lookup criteria (parm_name =
REFC):
WARNING:   parm_name: REFC, index_a = 0, index_b = 16, index_c = 5
WARNING:   parm_name: REFC, index_a = 0, index_b = 16, index_c = 196
WARNING: Using:   parm_name: REFC, index_a = 0, index_b = 16, index_c = 5

VV

The MET in the NAMRR is first implemented by Jacob Charley. He has been
using it smoothly, while some quantities like CTC causing the problem here
were not calculated by him.   He pointed out the differences between his
and mine. I also attached here.
^^
I'm using :

//
// Statistical output types
//
output_flag = {
   fho    = BOTH;
   ctc    = BOTH;
   cts    = BOTH;
   mctc   = BOTH;
   mcts   = BOTH;
   cnt    = BOTH;
   sl1l2  = BOTH;
   vl1l2  = BOTH;
   pct    = BOTH;
   pstd   = BOTH;
   pjc    = BOTH;
   prc    = BOTH;
   nbrctc = BOTH;
   nbrcts = BOTH;
   nbrcnt = BOTH;
};

where Jacob used, no problem:

//
// Statistical output types
//
output_flag = {
   fho    = NONE;
   ctc    = NONE;
   cts    = NONE;
   mctc   = NONE;
   mcts   = NONE;
   cnt    = NONE;
   sl1l2  = NONE;
   vl1l2  = NONE;
   pct    = NONE;
   pstd   = NONE;
   pjc    = NONE;
   prc    = NONE;
   nbrctc = NONE;
   nbrcts = NONE;
   nbrcnt = STAT;
};

VV
Your help is appreciated.
Best Regards,
Ting

Subject: the "missed " samples for CTC calculation for the composite reflectivity observation.
From: Julie Prestopnik
Time: Thu Oct 20 08:42:52 2016

Hi Ting.

Could you please upload your data to our anonymous ftp site as follows
so
that I can take a look?

http://www.dtcenter.org/met/users/support/met_help.php#ftp

Also, could you please pass on the command you are running?

--
Julie Prestopnik
Phone: 303.497.8399
Email: jpresto at ucar.edu