[Met_help] [rt.rap.ucar.edu #75983] History for Trouble with MET finding libgsl.so.0

John Halley Gotway via RT met_help at ucar.edu
Wed Apr 20 12:59:24 MDT 2016

Hi all,

I seem to be having some trouble in the final stages of building MET, as reflected in the output of the 'make test' process.  I've attached the output of that process here for reference.

Most errors seem to be involved with not being able find/use libgsl.so.0.  I'm assuming this should be directed via entries in the .cshrc via the MET_GSLLIB variable?  Is that a poor assumption?

Anyway, I've included my environmental variable for MET in my .cshrc below.  You can see that the GSL library is pointed to reference /usr/local/lib.  I've checked, and libgsl.so.0 does indeed exist at this pathway, as proven by the results of a locate command to find it:

[peter at lnx_env001 met-5.1]# locate libgsl.so.0
/home/peter/GSL/gsl-1.11/.libs/libgsl.so.0
/home/peter/GSL/gsl-1.11/.libs/libgsl.so.0.12.0
/usr/local/lib/libgsl.so.0
/usr/local/lib/libgsl.so.0.12.0

Am I way off base here?  Looking in the wrong spot?  Any ideas on what could be causing these errors?

Thanks!

-Tom

###ENVIRONMENTAL VARIABLES FOR MET PACKAGE###
setenv MET_NETCDF /home/peter/NETCDF/netcdf-c-4.4.0
setenv MET_NETCDF_INC /home/peter/NETCDF/netcdf-c-4.4.0/include
setenv MET_NETCDF_LIB /home/peter/NETCDF/netcdf-c-4.4.0/lib
setenv MET_BUFR /home/peter/BUFRLIB
#setenv MET_GSL /home/peter/GSL/gsl-1.11
setenv MET_GSLINC /usr/local/include/gsl
setenv MET_GSLLIB /usr/local/lib
setenv MET_GRIB2CINC /home/peter/GRIB2/g2clib-1.4.0
setenv MET_GRIB2CLIB /home/peter/GRIB2/g2clib-1.4.0
setenv MET_CAIROLIB /usr/local/lib/cairo
setenv MET_CAIROINC /usr/local/include/cairo
setenv MET_FREETYPEINC /usr/include/freetype2/freetype/
setenv MET_FREETYPELIB /usr/lib/
setenv MET_FONT_DIR /home/peter/GHOSTSCRIPT/fonts
setenv LD_LIBRARY_PATH /usr/local/lib

The information contained in this message is intended only for the personal and confidential use of the recipient(s) named above. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient or an agent responsible for delivering it to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that you have received this document in error and that any review, dissemination, distribution, or copying of this message is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please notify us immediately, and delete the original message.

I see you're having trouble compiling MET, especially related to the
GSL
library.  Thanks for sending the list of environment variables you're
using.  That helps a lot.  Please try using the following settings
instead.  And then rerun the configure script, followed by make:

###ENVIRONMENTAL VARIABLES FOR MET PACKAGE###
setenv MET_NETCDF /home/peter/NETCDF/netcdf-c-4.4.0
setenv MET_BUFRLIB /home/peter/BUFRLIB
setenv MET_GSL /usr/local
setenv MET_GRIB2CINC /home/peter/GRIB2/g2clib-1.4.0
setenv MET_GRIB2CLIB /home/peter/GRIB2/g2clib-1.4.0
setenv MET_CAIROLIB /usr/local/lib/cairo
setenv MET_CAIROINC /usr/local/include/cairo
setenv MET_FREETYPEINC /usr/include/freetype2/freetype
setenv MET_FREETYPELIB /usr/lib
setenv MET_FONT_DIR /home/peter/GHOSTSCRIPT/fonts
setenv LD_LIBRARY_PATH /usr/local/lib

Please let me know how it goes.

met_help at ucar.edu

From: Workoff, Thomas E
Time: Tue Apr 19 12:37:56 2016

Hi John,

Thanks for your quick response!

I made the changes you suggested to the .cshrc, and then re-
configured, and ran make again.  However, the results of 'make test'
still show the same error (attached if you really want to check it
out). It still can't seem to find that gsl library file.

Is this an artifact from me messing something up earlier in the build
process?  I can send along the results of the 'configure' or 'make
install' if you'd like....

met_help at ucar.edu

From: John Halley Gotway
Time: Tue Apr 19 14:11:28 2016

Tom,

Ah, OK.  So the problem is in linking to the GSL library at runtime.
My
apologies for not catching on to that sooner.

If GSL really is installed in /usr/local, make sure you actually have
some
libraries in there:
   ls /usr/local/lib/libgsl.*

And specifically:
   ls /usr/local/lib/libgsl.so.0

And I assume that's why you set you LD_LIBRARY_PATH to /usr/local/lib.
So
you can link to that GSL library.

Now, it could be the case that the version of GSL available in
/usr/local
in incompatible with your compilation of MET.  Perhaps it was compiled
with
a different family of compilers?

John