[Met_help] [rt.rap.ucar.edu #70293] History for tc_stat for FSP at multiple lead times?

John Halley Gotway via RT met_help at ucar.edu
Thu Jan 15 10:09:08 MST 2015

I am having trouble using tc_stat to discern frequency of superior
performance at multiple lead times between a small set of models.

For example, I have a filtered tcst file with 4 different models in it for
a one year period, and I want to calculate the FSP for each particular
model (they should add up to approximately 1).

So I copied over the default TCStat config file from the source tree and
added

-job summary -line_type TCMPR -amodel HWRF -column TK_ERR -dump_row
./tc_summary_job.tcst

to the jobs array. I have done nothing else. (note: the user guide is not
tremendously clear on the addition of these commands -- it appears they
need to be in quotes to define as a string and I still have not been able
to get tc_stat to run multiple filters in order without having to dump
temporary files and re-run tc_stat).

The output I get is:

COL_NAME: COLUMN TOTAL VALID      MEAN  MEAN_NCL  MEAN_NCU     STDEV
MIN      P10      P25      P50       P75       P90       MAX          SUM
TS_INT TS_IND FSP_TOTAL FSP_BEST FSP_TIES FSP
 SUMMARY: TK_ERR  8588  1960 117.13681 112.04645 122.22717 114.98159
0.00000 24.65873 45.09268 82.44326 141.14324 260.62057 866.88303
229588.14214     NA     NA         0        0        0  NA

which doesn't make any sense. It appears it is aggergating all track errors
at all lead times for that particular model. It also doesn't do any
comparison with the other models in the dataset.

I have also tried adding -amodel HWRF,GFDL. Now my results are

COL_NAME: COLUMN TOTAL VALID      MEAN  MEAN_NCL  MEAN_NCU     STDEV
MIN      P10      P25      P50       P75       P90       MAX          SUM
TS_INT TS_IND FSP_TOTAL FSP_BEST FSP_TIES FSP
 SUMMARY: TK_ERR  8588  1960 117.13681 112.04645 122.22717 114.98159
0.00000 24.65873 45.09268 82.44326 141.14324 260.62057 866.88303
229588.14214     NA     NA         0        0        0  NA

which again appears to confirm my suspicion that tc_stat is filtering out
the two models (all data points for the two models), mashing them together,
and calculating the statistics.

How do I run the utility such that
A) It is not automatically merging model and lead time?
B) I can get statistics for superior performance (ideally, how many times
at lead time XXX does model A outperform model B?)

In my personal case, I think sample files/data would go a long way to
helping bridge the gap between the document (which is sometimes tough to
decipher) and usage.

I am sorry if this is somewhat confusing/rambling -- please let me know if
I can clarify anything.

Thanks in advance for any assistance,

-Colin

--
Colin M. Zarzycki, ASP postdoctoral fellow
Atmospheric Modeling and Predictability