[Met_help] [rt.rap.ucar.edu #72364] History for bufr coding issue

John Halley Gotway via RT met_help at ucar.edu
Mon Aug 17 12:11:56 MDT 2015

I have three questions related to using MET for verification of aerosols species in WRF-Chem and another model called CMAQ. I plan to use pointstat.

1. I’d like to process observed aerosol concentrations and convert them with ascii2nc to a digestable format. Would that be a challenge for ascii2nc considering unknown aerosol (particulates) coding in tables for bufr/grib?

2. I am not familair with UPP. Could it be used for processing (gribbing) model aerosol (particulates) output from WRf-Chem?

3. CMAQ model is available in grib format  with lines that look like below. Do you see problems when processing it with pointstat in terms of e.g. map projection, other coding practices?

1:0:d=13081206:OZCON:kpds5=180:kpds6=107:kpds7=10000:TR=3:P1=5:P2=6:TimeU=1:sigma=1.0000:5-6hr ave:NAve=1

Does this approach seem ok or you see any problems with this plan?

Thanks,
Mariusz