[Met_help] [rt.rap.ucar.edu #72299] History for Can MET or MET-TC determine best weights for each member for a weighted ensemble mean?

John Halley Gotway via RT met_help at ucar.edu
Mon Aug 17 12:12:14 MDT 2015

*Short version:*
Can MET or MET-TC determine the best weights for each member to create a
weighted ensemble mean?

*Long version (questions in bold):*
I run the GFDL hurricane ensemble for HFIP's Stream 1.5 activity. This
year, I am trying to come up with a weighted ensemble mean rather than
sticking with our traditional unweighted mean. I've searched the internet
for over a week trying to find out how this is done. Today I got the bright
idea to see if MET or MET-TC had some capability to generate appropriate
ensemble member weights based on a training data set. The closest thing I
could find was frequency of superior performance, which I have used earlier
this month with my groups's version of a verification program to come up
with a first version of a weighted mean. It worked pretty well, as I got
about a 5% improvement at most lead times over the unweighted mean.
However, I was informed that the FSP output from my group's verification
program is only really valid for one-to-one comparisons (i.e., not for a
12-member ensemble). *Is MET-TC's FSP a solid result for comparing more
than 2 models at the same time?* If so, I may be tempted to use it for a
simple ensemble mean weighting technique.

However, if I am to present my work at a conference or in a paper, I want
to be sure I use a robust method to determine different weights for my
ensemble members at each lead time, for each ocean basin (maybe even have
each member be bias-corrected too). *Can MET or MET-TC (past or current
test versions) produce regression coefficients (weights) for each ensemble
member, which would be based on a training period data set?*

*More info:*
Florida State University has a "Superensemble" that uses a weighted
ensemble mean. Here is a presentation showing how they created a weighted
mean:
http://www.ofcm.gov/ihc06/Presentations/03%20session3%20Modeling%20and%20Prediction/s3-12biswas.pdf
[See slides 3-6]

If MET does not have this capability yet, I think it would be a great
addition. I feel hurricane forecast guidance will be greatly improved if
ensemble modeling groups used a weighted (and bias-corrected) mean rather
than using a simple average of model forecasts.

Thanks for any guidance you can provide!
Matt
Matthew Morin
Engility
High Technology Services Group