[Met_help] [rt.rap.ucar.edu #72371] History for PREP Buffer Question

John Halley Gotway via RT met_help at ucar.edu
Mon Aug 17 12:11:29 MDT 2015

I have figured out how to tell what fields are in the Prep buffer files I am retrieving.   Below is the PB2NC configuration file I am using.

Even though I have included GUST and APCP in the list of variables, the NCDUMP does not show these variables ending up in the observation file.   Is there any other setting I have not set properly?

Thanks

////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

//

// Default pb2nc configuration file

//

////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

//

// Stratify the observation data in the PrepBufr files in the following

// ways:

//  (1) by message type: supply a list of PrepBufr message types

//      to retain (i.e. AIRCFT)

//  (2) by station id: supply a list of observation stations to retain

//  (3) by valid time: supply starting and ending times in form

//      YYYY-MM-DD HH:MM:SS UTC

//  (4) by location: supply either an NCEP masking grid, a masking

//      lat/lon polygon or a file to a mask lat/lon polygon

//  (5) by elevation: supply min/max elevation values

//  (6) by report type (typ): supply a list of report types to retain

//  (7) by instrument type (itp): supply a list of instrument type to

//      retain

//  (8) by vertical level: supply min/max vertical levels

//  (9) by variable type: supply a list of variable types to retain

//      P, Q, T, Z, U, V

// (11) by quality mark: supply a quality mark threshold

// (12) Flag to retain values for all quality marks, or just the first

//      quality mark (highest)

// (13) by data level category: supply a list of category types to

//      retain.

//

//      0 - Surface level (mass reports only)

//      1 - Mandatory level (upper-air profile reports)

//      2 - Significant temperature level (upper-air profile reports)

//      2 - Significant temperature and winds-by-pressure level

//          (future combined mass and wind upper-air reports)

//      3 - Winds-by-pressure level (upper-air profile reports)

//      4 - Winds-by-height level (upper-air profile reports)

//      5 - Tropopause level (upper-air profile reports)

//      6 - Reports on a single level

//          (e.g., aircraft, satellite-wind, surface wind,

//           precipitable water retrievals, etc.)

//      7 - Auxiliary levels generated via interpolation from spanning levels

//          (upper-air profile reports)

//

//

// Specify a comma-separated list of PrepBufr message type strings to retain.

// An empty list indicates that all should be retained.

// List of valid message types:

//    ADPUPA AIRCAR AIRCFT ADPSFC ERS1DA GOESND GPSIPW

//    MSONET PROFLR QKSWND RASSDA SATEMP SATWND SFCBOG

//    SFCSHP SPSSMI SYNDAT VADWND

//    ANYAIR (= AIRCAR, AIRCFT)

//    ANYSFC (= ADPSFC, SFCSHP, ADPUPA, PROFLR)

//    ONLYSF (= ADPSFC, SFCSHP)

// http://www.emc.ncep.noaa.gov/mmb/data_processing/prepbufr.doc/table_1.htm

//

// e.g. message_type[] = [ "ADPUPA", "AIRCAR" ];

//

message_type[] = ["ANYSFC"];

//

// Specify a comma-separated list of station ID strings to retain.

// An empty list indicates that all should be retained.

//

// e.g. station_id[] = [ "KDEN" ];

//

station_id[] = [];

//

// Beginning and ending time offset values in seconds for observations

// to retain.  The valid time window for retaining observations is

// defined in reference to the observation time.  So observations with

// a valid time falling in the window [obs_time+beg_ds, obs_time+end_ds]

// will be retained.

//

beg_ds = -5400;

end_ds =  5400;

//

// Specify the name of a single grid to be used in masking the data.

// An empty string indicates that no grid should be used.  The standard

// NCEP grids are named "GNNN" where NNN indicates the three digit grid number.

//

// http://www.nco.ncep.noaa.gov/pmb/docs/on388/tableb.html

//

// e.g. mask_grid = "G212";

//

mask_grid = "";

//

// Specify a single ASCII file containing a lat/lon polygon.

// Latitude in degrees north and longitude in degrees east.

// By default, the first and last polygon points are connected.

//

// The lat/lon polygon file should contain a name for the polygon

// followed by a space-separated list of lat/lon points:

//    "name lat1 lon1 lat2 lon2... latn lonn"

//

// MET_BASE may be used in the path for the lat/lon polygon file.

//

// e.g. mask_poly = "MET_BASE/data/poly/EAST.poly";

//

mask_poly = "";

//

// Beginning and ending elevation values in meters for observations

// to retain.

//

beg_elev = -1000;

end_elev = 100000;

//

// Specify a comma-separated list of PrepBufr report type values to retain.

// An empty list indicates that all should be retained.

//

// http://www.emc.ncep.noaa.gov/mmb/data_processing/prepbufr.doc/table_4.htm

//

// e.g. pb_report_type[] = [ 120, 133 ];

//

pb_report_type[] = [];

//

// Specify a comma-separated list of input report type values to retain.

// An empty list indicates that all should be retained.

//

// http://www.emc.ncep.noaa.gov/mmb/data_processing/prepbufr.doc/table_6.htm

//

// e.g. in_report_type[] = [ 11, 22, 23 ];

//

in_report_type[] = [];

//

// Specify a comma-separated list of instrument type values to retain.

// An empty list indicates that all should be retained.

//

// e.g. instrument_type[] = [ 52, 87 ];

//

instrument_type[] = [];

//

// Beginning and ending vertical levels to retain.

//

beg_level = 1;

end_level = 255;

//

// Specify a comma-separated list of strings containing grib codes or

// corresponding grib code abbreviations to retain or be derived from

// the available observations.

//

// Grib Codes to be RETAINED:

//    SPFH or 51 for Specific Humidity in kg/kg

//    TMP  or 11 for Temperature in K

//    HGT  or 7  for Height in meters

//    UGRD or 33 for the East-West component of the wind in m/s

//    VGRD or 34 for the North-South component of the wind in m/s

//

// Grib Codes to be DERIVED:

//    DPT   or 17 for Dewpoint Temperature in K

//    WIND  or 32 for Wind Speed in m/s

//    RH    or 52 for Relative Humidity in %

//    MIXR  or 53 for Humidity Mixing Ratio in kg/kg

//    PRMSL or  2 for Pressure Reduced to Mean Sea Level in Pa

//

// http://www.nco.ncep.noaa.gov/pmb/docs/on388/table2.html

//

// e.g. obs_grib_code[] = [ "TMP", "UGRD", "VGRD", "WIND" ];

//

obs_grib_code[] = [ "RH", "TMP", "HGT", "UGRD", "VGRD", "PRMSL", "DPT" , "WIND", "DPT", "CEIL", "GUST", "VIS", "SNOD", "APCP", "TSOIL", "SOILM", "WDIR"];

//

// Quality mark threshold to indicate which observations to retain.

// Observations with a quality mark equal to or LESS THAN this threshold

// will be retained, while observations with a quality mark GREATER THAN

// this threshold will be discarded.

// http://www.emc.ncep.noaa.gov/mmb/data_processing/prepbufr.doc/table_7.htm

//

quality_mark_thresh = 3;

//

// Flag to indicate whether observations should be drawn from the top

// of the event stack (most quality controlled) or the bottom of the

// event stack (most raw).  A value of 1 indicates that the top of the

// event stack should be used while a value of zero indicates that the

// bottom should be used.

//

event_stack_flag = 1;

//

// Space comma-separated list of data level categorie values to retain,

// where a value of:

[...]

// e.g. level_category[] = [ 0, 1 ];

//

level_category[] = [  ];

//

// Directory where temp files should be written by the PB2NC tool

//

tmp_dir = "/h/data/global/WXQC/data/obs_prep";

//

// Indicate a version number for the contents of this configuration file.

// The value should generally not be modified.

//

version = "V3.0";