[Met_help] [rt.rap.ucar.edu #64498] History for Unable to do MET Analysis for my 6-months forecast WRF Run

John Halley Gotway via RT met_help at ucar.edu
Tue Feb 18 12:02:03 MST 2014

I am Manish Dawar from IBM Research Lab, India. I have been working on
weather modelling for a while which involves running the WRF Model and
doing the analysis using MET Packages.

With respect to MET, I have been majorly dealing with 3 MET commands which
are -

1. pcp_combine
2. Point-stat ( before this, i have converted the WRF output in the MET
required format)
3.  stat-analysis

I have been able to do the anlaysis for my 2-days forecast and 7-days
forecast run using these commands.

But now, I need to do the MET Analysis for my 6-months run which I am not
able to do so.

*Issue:*

pcp_combine takes grib files which gets generated from the UPP. The problem
is as UPP is generating the output in grib1 files only (grib2 format is not
fully functional till now) and *grib1 files have limitation of having the
forecast hour only till 256 hours*.

*By this limitation, I mean, when my data exceeds the 256 hours, grib1
files takes the modulus w.r.t ( value % 256) and then put this value in the
file which is incorrect.*

Let us say, If my file is suppose to have forecast hour of 258 hours, grib
file will have 2 as the forecast hour because of which i can not do
pcp_combine with subtract option.

*With this respect, I have two questions - *

1. Did you able to catch this limitation of grib1 files in your code ?? I
mean, Is there any way out of this..

2. Do pcp_combine works with any other file format except grib format??
Although this might not solve the problem completely but it might provide
some help.

*Please reply as soon as possible. Waiting for your reply.*

Thank you for your valuable time.

Regards
Manish Dawar