[Met_help] [rt.rap.ucar.edu #69953] History for Probability verification using unconventional grib data

John Halley Gotway via RT met_help at ucar.edu
Wed Dec 3 14:32:49 MST 2014

Hello. I was sure to look through the MET guide and on-line tutorials
before I sent you this email. I am still having trouble getting grid-stat
to produce a grid_stat_000000L_20140914_000000V_pstd.txt file with values
in it. I currently only get the header to print out.

Background:
I have 2 grib1 files, forecasted and observed probabilities of 34-kt winds
in a common domain. I ran grid-stat and got the nice NetCDF file to be
outputted, and some of the other text files have values printed out, but
not the one with Brier Score and ROC.

I'm not sure if I'm using the right settings in my configuration file. Zeus
is down now, but I was wondering what you recommend I use in my
configuration file. Here is what I can remember I used:

   field = [
     {
       name       = "LCDC";
       level      = "Z0";
       cat_thresh = [ >=0 ];
     }
   ];
obs = fcst;

I'm not sure how to use "thresholds" because my grib data already accounts
for thresholds. I have the probabilities of 34-kt winds. So, is
using cat_thresh = [ >=0 ] the right way so that I include all the data
points in the domain?

What other configuration settings would be important to set to compare
probability grids?

Thanks so much for your help.
-Matt