[Met_help] [rt.rap.ucar.edu #61217] History for MODE threshold question

John Halley Gotway via RT met_help at ucar.edu
Thu May 16 15:22:12 MDT 2013

I am not sure whether the "le" command is working for the thresholding /identification of objects. I accept that this is probably not because it doesn't work but due to the incompetence of the user! So far all my efforts have returned one object, namely the entire field, unless I use the "ge" option.

I've attached a sample forecast and analysis grib field and the cfg file.

I know it has to come down to tweaking these thresholds. Any ideas?

Thanks
Marion

fcst_raw_thresh   = "le100000.0";
obs_raw_thresh    = "le100000.0";

fcst_conv_radius  = 1;
obs_conv_radius   = 1;

bad_data_thresh   = 0.50;

fcst_conv_thresh  = "le100000.0";
obs_conv_thresh   = "le100000.0";

fcst_area_thresh  = "ge0";
obs_area_thresh   = "ge0";

fcst_inten_perc        = 0;
fcst_inten_perc_thresh = "lt100.0";
obs_inten_perc         = 0;
obs_inten_perc_thresh  = "lt100.0";

fcst_merge_thresh = "le100000.0";
obs_merge_thresh  = "le100000.0";
--
Dr Marion Mittermaier     Manager: Model diagnostics and novel verification

Met Office   FitzRoy Road   Exeter   EX1 3PB   United Kingdom
Tel: +44 (0)1392 884830   Fax: +44 (0)1392 885681
E-mail: marion.mittermaier at metoffice.gov.uk  http://www.metoffice.gov.uk

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/research/people/marion-mittermaier