[Met_help] [rt.rap.ucar.edu #52489] History for Wavelets on Just Forecast or Observation Field

Paul Oldenburg via RT met_help at ucar.edu
Wed Feb 1 08:39:53 MST 2012

Met Help,

Is there a way to output the wavelet analysis for just the forecast or
observation field, instead of getting the analysis from the difference
of the two fields?

Thank you,

Kent Knopfmeier

Subject: Re: [rt.rap.ucar.edu #52489] Wavelets on Just Forecast or Observation Field
From: Paul Oldenburg
Time: Tue Jan 10 09:45:23 2012

Kent,

wavelet_stat does perform a multi-resolution analysis on both the
forecast and observation fields.  The results of these
analyses are stored in the NetCDF output of wavelet_stat.  For
example, if you ran the test scripts that are packaged
with the MET tarball, you should have the following output file:

$MET_BASE/out/wavelet_stat/wavelet_stat_240000L_20050808_000000V.nc

The variable FCST_APCP_12_A12_gt0.000_APCP_12_A12_gt0.000 contains the
MRA of the thresholded forecast precip field.

MET was not intended to be used as a general wavelet analysis tool.
If you need to perform a more sophisticated
analysis of your data, for example without thresholding, we recommend
using a statistical or math analysis tool such as
R, matlab or IDL.  For example, the R package waveslim::mra.2d will
perform a MRA on any 2d field.

Please let us know if you have any other questions.

Thanks,

Paul

https://rt.rap.ucar.edu/rt/Ticket/Display.html?id=52489>