[Met_help] [rt.rap.ucar.edu #51986] History for 95% CI question (UNCLASSIFIED)

Tressa Fowler via RT met_help at ucar.edu
Fri Dec 16 10:59:45 MST 2011

Classification: UNCLASSIFIED
Caveats: NONE

I just conducted a brief survey of some websites to find out the statistical
significance of overlapping versus non-overlapping CIs and I find
contradictory information.

So, I would like your assessment of a typical situation where this issue has
come up.

My plots show RMSE, MAE and ME and their 95% CIs (bootstrap) as calculated
by MET Point-Stat and Stat-Analysis.

On a given plot, I compare the error statistics and CIs which were generated
from two different forecast models. An example is the error statistic for
the 2m temperature forecast for each model.

In some cases the value of the error statistic with the CI for one model
overlaps the error statistic with the CI for the other model.

In other cases there is no overlap.

My interpretation about what I could conclude from these two situations was
as follows:

1. If there is no overlap, then the difference between the error statistics
is statistically significant at the 95% confidence level.

2. If there is overlap, then the difference between the error statistics is
not statistically significant at the 95% confidence level.

What may I safely conclude about both of these situations statistically?

Thanks.

R/
John

Mr John W. Raby, Meteorologist
U.S. Army Research Laboratory
White Sands Missile Range, NM 88002
(575) 678-2004 DSN 258-2004
FAX (575) 678-1230 DSN 258-1230
Email: john.w.raby2.civ at mail.mil

Classification: UNCLASSIFIED
Caveats: NONE

Yes, if there is no overlap, then the statistic is significantly
different. If there is overlap, it may or may not be. Variances are
difficult to estimate, and are often overinflated. In these cases,
there may be a difference you just don't see, but would if you used a
paired analysis or some other test.

Tressa