[Met_help] [rt.rap.ucar.edu #52096] History for Errors using "point_stat" with MADIS data.... [see also rt.rap.ucar.edu #51743]

John Halley Gotway via RT met_help at ucar.edu
Mon Dec 19 13:41:59 MST 2011

Good afternoon,

 First, thank you for your help with my previous query (see subject line).

  Now, I have a question re "point_stat".

Some background.  I am attempting to use MET v3.0.1 to verify WRF forecast
10m winds.

   Forecast model data:    WRF.grib  (GRIB 1 output, produced by the
WRFPOSTPROC software converting the WRF NetCDF output).

   Observation files:     MADIS  metar, raob NetCDF files    (NOTE: These
files are *NOT* converted using madis2nc. These files are exactly as found
on the MADIS FTP site)
                        Metar:   2011 12 12 00        "metar00.nc"
                                     2011 12 12 01        "metar01.nc"
                        Raob:    2011 12 12 00        "raob00.nc"
                                     2011 12 12 01        "raob01.nc"

    Point_Stat Config file:   See attached  (modelled on the default
point_stat config file supplied in the MET v3.0.1 software distribution)

 Other:   As a test of using "point_stat", the forecast being, end times are
as follows:
                 Forecast Begin:    2011   12   12  00              (00Z,
Dec. 12, 2011)
                 Forecast End:       2011   12   12  01              (01Z,
Dec. 12, 2011)

  Output of running "point_stat":

.../bin/point_stat  ./WRF.grib   metar00.nc  ./WRF_PBL_TEST  -point_obs
metar01.nc -point_obs raob00.nc -point_obs raob01.nc  -obs_valid_beg
20111212_00 -obs_valid_end 20111212_01
GSL_RNG_TYPE=mt19937
GSL_RNG_SEED=75754318
Forecast File: ./WRF.grib
Climatology File: none
Configuration File: ./WRF_PBL_TEST
Observation File: metar00.nc
Observation File: metar01.nc
Observation File: raob00.nc
Observation File: raob01.nc

Reading records for WIND/Z10.
For WIND/Z10 found 1 forecast levels and 0 climatology levels.

NetCDF: Invalid dimension ID or name

As a newcomer to using MET, I'm not sure how to debug the error above.   (I
have completed the on-line MET tutorial...)

To help, I have also attached the output of

   ncdump -h  metar00.nc                 (See file METAR_NetCDF_File)

 Can someone give me some advice how best to configure and use "point_stat"?

Best regards,