[Met_help] [rt.rap.ucar.edu #42151] History for Brier scores

RAL HelpDesk {for John Halley Gotway} met_help at ucar.edu
Wed Nov 17 08:37:32 MST 2010

Dear help team,

We are new to MET and feel a little lost. Unfortunately we could not attend a
tutorial at NCAR so far, but we are eager to use the application.

We want to calculate Brier scores, uncertainty, reliability and resolution.

Our data consists of an ensemble of precipitation forecasts and their
corresponding gauges observations. We are interested in point verification
against gauges. It is a statistical forecast method, not output from a model
grid as WRF.

Our data consists thus of a table where in the first column we have the
observation and the in rest of the columns the forecast from each ensemble
member.
We want to verify the probability of exceeding the lower 30% and the 50%
quantiles. Our reference forecast is the in-sample observed climatology for each
station.

At the present stage it is not clear for us how to input this data into MET and
what stages to follow. Could there be an example for us to look at or could you
help us telling us steps to follow within the application?

Thanks in advance.

Dorita