[Met_help] (no subject)

John Halley Gotway johnhg at ucar.edu
Fri May 14 10:37:50 MDT 2010

Michael,

Yes, that's basically correct.  The main difference between Point-Stat and Grid-Stat is that Point-Stat is set up to handle point observations while Grid-Stat handles gridded observations.  Beyond
that, they basically do the same thing: collect a bunch of fcst-obs matched pairs over a user-defined region and compute a variety of statistics from those sets of matched pairs.  Both Point-Stat and
Grid-Stat are designed to be run once for each forecast valid time.

I see that you're more interested in looking at performance through time at one or more individual points.  And while MET wasn't optimized to solve that problem, there are ways to compute that.  You
could run Point-Stat at each forecast valid time with the sole purpose of producing matched pairs at a set of observation locations.  And then you could use the Stat-Analysis tool to read those
matched pairs through time for each observation location and compute any number of statistics.  In order to do this, in the Point-Stat configuration file, you'd use the "mask_sid" (for station id) to
provide a list of the stations in which you're interested.  And you'd set the "output_flag" parameter to only dump out the matched pair (MPR) line type.  Then you'd run Stat-Analysis to read in those
MPR lines for each station, and recompute stats through time.

I do know of at least one other users who's doing exactly that.

Hope that helps clarify.