[Met_help] Install failed

Paul Oldenburg pgoldenb at ucar.edu
Thu May 13 08:28:27 MDT 2010

Laura,

We have not done much mac support in the past.  I'm not terribly familiar with
the file system on a mac, but I do know that the strange folder name that I
pointed out in the make_met.log is almost certainly causing your problem.  If
you run make from /Users/laura/METv2.0, why is make attempting to access
resources in /var/folders/Xx/Xxq0XtV...?  I don't see that folder anywhere in
your Makefile.  The answer to that question will probably solve your problem.  I
have a feeling that symbolic links are involved, like perhaps /Users/laura is a
symbolic link to another folder?  Or perhaps the gsl or netcdf libraries are
built in folders that are symbolically linked?

If you are stuck, I would suggest seeking help from a mac support individual.
Sorry I don't have more specific suggestions.  Please let us know if there is
anything else we can do to help.

Paul

Laura Bell wrote:
> I have my MET in /Users/laura/METv2.0 and that is where I've been running
> make.
>
> laura-bells-macbook:~/METv2.0] laura% make --version
> GNU Make 3.81
> Copyright (C) 2006  Free Software Foundation, Inc.
> This is free software; see the source for copying conditions.
> There is NO warranty; not even for MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A
> PARTICULAR PURPOSE.
>
> This program built for powerpc-apple-darwin9.0
>
> Thank you so much for your help.  I'm not sure why this is not working!
> Laura
>

> On 5/12/10 11:19 AM, "Paul Oldenburg" <pgoldenb at ucar.edu> wrote:
>
>> Laura,
>>
>> The folder shown in the error message in the make_met.log that you sent looks
>> very strange:
>>
>> /var/folders/Xx/Xxq0XtVvGCCNmapIJp-5i++++TI/-Tmp-//cctnmBnA.s
>>
>> It appears to contain invalid path characters.  Can you please re-try to build
>> MET in a folder that has a standard path name like /var/folders/METv2.0?  The
>> third party MET support libraries must also be built in folders that MET can
>> access.
>>
>> Also, can you please send us the version of make that you are using?  That
>> information can be displayed using the command "make --version".  If you have
>> any questions, please let me know.
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Paul
>>
>> Laura Bell wrote:
>>> Thank you for your help.  My compiler version is:
>>> [laura-bells-macbook:/Users/METv2.0] laura% g++ --version
>>> i686-apple-darwin9-g++-4.0.1 (GCC) 4.0.1 (Apple Inc. build 5490)