[Met_help] point stat definitely won't use multiple forecast files?

John Halley Gotway johnhg at ucar.edu
Thu May 6 10:09:11 MDT 2010

Mike,

Yes, that's correct.  Point-Stat is designed to verify a single valid time.  Currently, you have to split up your forecast files into separate files, one for each valid time.  That design is based on
how WRF typically outputs separate files for each valid time.  However, we've received feedback that some users have multiple forecast times in a single file.  We're planning to add command line
options to the MET tools to allow you select out the valid time (or lead time) you'd like to verify.  For example,

point_stat fcst_file.grib obs_file.nc PointStatConfig -valid 20100506_120000

Would select out only GRIB records valid at that time.  Does that addition sound like it'd meet your needs?