[Met_help] Object Definition question

John Halley Gotway johnhg at rap.ucar.edu
Fri Jan 22 15:02:37 MST 2010

Jeff,

I suspect that this may be an issue of units.

The GRIB spec (http://www.nco.ncep.noaa.gov/pmb/docs/on388/table2.html)
indicates that pressure is stored in GRIB as pascals.  So the thresholds
you use in the MODE config file should be in pascals as well.  It is
possible that you're specifying the thresholds in mb as opposed to
pascals?

You can always use the "wgrib" tool
(http://www.cpc.noaa.gov/products/wesley/wgrib.html) with the "-V" option
to look at the range of data values in each GRIB record.  Also, the
colorbar on the first page of the MODE output should give you a good idea
about the range of values.

If you continue to have troubles, feel free to send me a sample fcst, obs,
and config file.  I'd be happy to run it here and try to figure out what's
going on.

If you'd like to do that, you could post that data to our anonymous FTP site:
ftp ftp.rap.ucar.edu
username=anonymous
password="your email address"
cd incoming/irap/met_help