[Met_help] Clarification on data ingest by the MODE tool (METv2.0)

Matthew Souders matt.souders at gmail.com
Tue Jan 26 16:39:03 MST 2010

I am seeking a bit of clarification about how exactly the MODE tool ingests
gridded data and accounts for distances between grid points. My data sets
are both regular lat/lon grids (not regular dx/dy with constant spacing) and
have global coverage (not a region like the WRF might)...I am working with
NCEP/NCAR Reanalysis and GFS forecast fields from the archived 1.0X1.0
degree grids. I need to know whether MODE can correctly interpret real
distances from GRIB files in regular lat/lon format or whether I'd somehow
need to convert regular lat/lon to regular dx/dy (a process which would be
impossible if I were covering the entire globe since dx changes with
increasing latitude).

>From what I can tell from the User's Guide for METv2.0, I can use any
gridded data, but I have to make some kind of rough estimate as to the
typical grid spacing. But lat/lon grids aren't regularly spaced enough for
that to make sense. Any clarification you might be able to provide on how
best to work with globally-covering regular lat/lon grids would be
appreciated.

Matthew Souders
Stony Brook University
School of Marine and Atmospheric Sciences