[Met_help] [rt.rap.ucar.edu #40061] History for 2 quick ascii2nc format questions

RAL HelpDesk {for Paul Oldenburg} met_help at ucar.edu
Wed Aug 18 14:38:41 MDT 2010

I am writing a program to convert madis observations to the ascii file
format required by the "ascii2nc" program. I have 2 brief questions:

1) How do I write an entries for 2m-temperature or 10m-wind surface
observations where the station pressure is unknown/un-reported. Looking at
the ascii2nc documentation it appears as though the "Elev" & "Hgt" columns
are not used (ie -9999). Furthermore, the "Lvl" column expects only pressure
or accumulation intervals, but not height. Without a way to include 2m or
10m above ground heights, is there any way to distinguish a difference in
these observations? Without an observation pressure can I set "Lvl" to -9999
without point_stat rejecting these?

2) If I do not have a WMO id for an observation, can I set this field to
-999 without the observation being rejected?

I would greatly appreciate advice on how to proceed with these two issues.

Thanks,
Scott