[Met_help] [rt.rap.ucar.edu #40156] History for 2 questions regarding precipitation verification

RAL HelpDesk {for Paul Oldenburg} met_help at ucar.edu
Wed Aug 18 14:39:07 MDT 2010

Good morning,

I have 2 questions regarding verification of precipitation observations.

*[Question 1]*

I am trying to validate 1-hour accumulated precipitation from ADPSFC,
MESONET, and SFCSHP observations to compare against WRF. However, point_stat
does not seem to be calculating any comparisons. I verified both observation
and model files contain the APCP field. The observation file contains 122
entries for this field inside my domain. I tried setting the following
parameters

fcst_field[]  = [ "APCP/A1" ];
fcst_field[]  = [ ];
fcst_thresh[] = [ "ge0" ];
fcst_thresh[] = [ ];

but all the output *txt files contain only headers...no statistics info. I
tried changing the variable to "APCP/L0", but that caused the program to
stop with an error. Could you please take a look at my input files (see
tarball attached) and see if there is anything obviously wrong? I am stumped
as to why no matches are occurring. The output file "pointStat.log" was
created with the following command

point_stat NR05_pcp_001.nc madisObs_20060802_010000.nc PointStatConfig >&
pointStat.log

*[Question 2]*

I am also trying to validate WRF against NCEP Stage_IV 1-hr accumulated
precipitation. First, I converted my WRF domain (~18km grid spacing) to
Stage_IV (~4km grid spacing) to preserve the observation accuracy.
Unfortunately, the interpolated grid is spatially larger than my original
domain containing ~32x more data points. This results in long computation
times! I tried applying a polygon mask in the shape of my original domain
hoping to filter the extraneous grid points, but it still takes just as
long. Is there any advice you could give to slash computation times?

Thanks,
Scott