[Met_help] pcp_combine

John Halley Gotway johnhg at ucar.edu
Fri Apr 9 15:47:15 MDT 2010

Jianting,

I ran the files you sent and got the following error:

pcp_combine -subtract test_d02_19900930.000 21 test_d02_19900929.000 0 test.nc
Reading input file: test_d02_19900930.000
ERROR: get_field() -> can't find grib code 61 with accumulation of 21 hours in grib file: test_d02_19900930.000

That file doesn't contain a 21-hour accumulation of precipitation.  It contains a 0-hour accumulation.  So then I ran the following command instead:

pcp_combine -subtract test_d02_19900930.000 0 test_d02_19900929.000 0 test.nc
Reading input file: test_d02_19900930.000
Reading input file: test_d02_19900929.000
Performing subtraction command.
Writing output file: test.nc

And it worked fine.  This of course is a very silly thing to do - all we're doing is subtracting 0 minus 0.  But it does run without the NetCDF error you mentioned:
"NetCDF: Numeric conversion not representable"

If the test script runs fine, but this data doesn't work, I'm really not sure what's going on.  I haven't seen that type of NetCDF error before.  You command line looks fine.  I suppose you could try
the "-add" option instead of "-subtract" but I'm guessing you'll see the same error.  I've run it here using the original and updated versions of METv2.0 and using the GNU and PGI compilers, but I
don't see the error you're seeing.  I'm not sure how else to debug this issue.

John