[Met_help] Problem in GDAS PrepBufr dataset

John Halley Gotway johnhg at ucar.edu
Mon Oct 12 08:56:19 MDT 2009

NOMADS Support,

I reported a problem to you on 2/13/2009 about the GDAS PrepBufr observations files that are posted on the NOMADS data server.  I've listed that original message below.

The problem regarding the 18Z files being shifted by one day continues to exist on your server.  For my current work, we're using data between 20080601 and 20090603, and the problem exists for all
those dates.

In addition, I've found a few other files for which the timestamp is incorrect:

(1) http://nomads.ncdc.noaa.gov/data/gdas/200807/20080708/gdas1.t18z.prepbufr.nr, the timestamp is wrong.
(2) http://nomads.ncdc.noaa.gov/data/gdas/200807/20080709/gdas1.t00z.prepbufr.nr actually contains data for 00Z on 20080708.
(3) http://nomads.ncdc.noaa.gov/data/gdas/200807/20080709/gdas1.t06z.prepbufr.nr actually contains data for 06Z on 20080708.
(4) http://nomads.ncdc.noaa.gov/data/gdas/200807/20080709/gdas1.t12z.prepbufr.nr actually contains data for 12Z on 20080708.

Please let me know if you'll be able to resolve these issues.  As I mentioned in my original email, when I check the GDAS PrepBufr files on the NCEP HPSS directly, the data there IS correct.  So
somewhere along the line, the timestamps for the 18Z files are getting shifted.

johnhg at ucar.edu