[Met_help] MET2.0 Installation Problem

John Halley Gotway johnhg at ucar.edu
Fri Oct 9 11:20:53 MDT 2009

Prashant,

Actually no, this does not look like the 64-bit issue for BUFRLIB.  On 64-bit machines, we're usually able to get BUFRLIB and the MET PB2NC tool to compile, but we sometimes have runtime issues
resulting in an error message from PB2NC looking something like:
 **************BUFR ARCHIVE LIBRARY ABORT*****************
 BUFRLIB: OPENBF - FIRST 4 BYTES READ FROM RECORD IN INPUT FILE CONNECTED TO UNIT  11 NOT 'BUFR', DOES NOT CONTAIN BUFR DATA
 **************BUFR ARCHIVE LIBRARY ABORT*****************

Actually, I was able to build and run MET (including PB2NC) on a 64-bit machine this morning using the GNU compilers.  So I'm hopeful that we can get it work for you as well.

The problem you're having is in linking to standard compiler libraries.  The linker can't find some definitions for things like "isalnum", "isalpha", and so on.  So it uses the ones defined in:
/usr/include/c++/4.1.2/cctype

When building with the GNU compilers, these are defined in the standard C-library: libc.a, and the compilers know where to find them.  And the actual error message you're seeing is that the linker
can't find symbols for _ISupper, _ISlower, and so on.

It looks like there's some issue with the configuration of the compilers you're using.

Do you have the GNU compilers, g++ and gfortran, available on your machine.  If so, I'd recommend trying to build with those.