[Met_help] MET Mode Question

John Halley Gotway johnhg at ucar.edu
Mon Nov 9 12:48:58 MST 2009

Bob,

Let me answer your second question first.  The "sum" of centroid_x and centroid_y is pretty meaningless.  It's just the sum of all the values in those columns of data.  However, "sum" would be
meaningful when you're looking at the distribution of object areas - it give you the total area for all the objects.  For most attributes, it's meaningless, but for a handful of them it is very helpful.

For your first question, let's look at an example.  Can you open up the following file generated by the MET test script:
METv2.0/out/mode/mode_APCP_12_SFC_vs_APCP_12_SFC_120000L_20050807_120000V_120000A.ps

On the bottom, right section of the first page you'll see columns labeled "Forecast" and "Observation".  Look in those for the line "Simple/M/U".  This gives you the counts of the matched and
unmatched simple objects.  In the forecast field, there are 7 objects, 3 matched and 4 unmatched.  In the observation field, there are 4 objects, 4 matched and 0 unmatched.  The number of matched
simple objects differ because there is merging occurring in the forecast and observation fields.  In the forecast field, the two red objects (#2 and #4) are merged together into a cluster object.  In
the observation fields, the green objects (#2, #3, and #4) are merged into a cluster object.  So that's why the number of matched/unmatched simple objects differ.

Now look at the link for "Cluster".  You'll see that it's 2 in both the "Forecast" and "Observation" column.  These values will always be the same.  The number of forecast clusters by definition is
equal to the number of observation clusters.  We don't even talk about unmatched clusters.  Being matched or not only refers to simple objects.  The clusters by definition are always matched.

Let me also point out that by changing the fcst_merge_flag, obs_merge_flag, and match_flag in the MODE config file, you can modify the logic that MODE uses to do matching/merging.  These basically
allow you to modify how much merging of simple objects you'd like to allow.