[Met_help] point_stat: interp method inconsistency

John Halley Gotway johnhg at rap.ucar.edu
Fri Feb 20 14:22:18 MST 2009

Jonathan,

I did actually find a bug related to that this morning when running
Grid-Stat and Point-Stat using MULTIPLE interpolation raddii and methods.
I haven't looked to see if it's in METv2.0beta6 or not - but it was in the
devleopment version.

BUT... I don't think that's what you're seeing.

When you request an interpolation width of 1, which I'm guessing is what
you're doing, that really just means to use the "nearest neighbor".  So by
convention, when you request an interpolation width of 1, the
interpolation method is harded coded as "UW_MEAN".  So if you're
requesting interpolation width = 1 and interpolation method = DW_MEAN, in
the output, you'll see UW_MEAN and not DW_MEAN.

Suppose you selected an interpolation width of 1 and 5 interpolation
methods - UW_MEAN, DW_MEAN, LS_FIT, MIN, MAX... and so on.  Since we're
just using the nearest neighbor, those methods really would have no
impact.  So we decided to just write out UW_MEAN instead.

If you're using an interpolation width > 1, then you should actually see
DW_MEAN in the output files.

Does that make sense?