[Met_help] vsdb tool output

John Halley Gotway johnhg at rap.ucar.edu
Tue Feb 24 07:14:46 MST 2009

Ruifang,

I apologize for the delay in getting back to you.

I think I understand what's going on here.  It's just a bit of confusion as to what exactly the output the VSDB-Analysis tool is.  Let me explain...

The VSDB-Analysis tool really performs 2 steps.  First, it's reads through all of the VSDB lines you pass to it, and it FILTERS out the ones that you'd like to retain by applying all of the filtering
parameters you set in the configuration file or on the command line.  Second, once it has that filtered set of VSDB lines, it runs the jobs that you define over that data.

Now, the two jobs you're running are both of type "vsdb_job_summary".  This job requires you to select two things:
(1) a line type of interest: CNT/0.050 in your case
(2) a column of data from that  line (using the "-column" option) to summarize: in your case, RMSE for job 1 and MBIAS for job 2
The job simply computes summary information for the column of data you choose.  That summary information consists of the mean, standard deviation, min, max, and several percentile values for that
column of data.

So the output of the VSDB-Analysis tool is really that line of summary information for the job.  By default, it will get printed to the screen, but you can use the "-out" command line option to write
it to a file instead.  Also, you can dump the lines of VSDB data that were used in this job using the "-dump_row" option.  The files created through dump_row simply contain the VSDB lines that went
into the job.  We provide the "dump_row" option so that users can verify that the VSDB-Analysis tool is filtering the data and computing the summary statistics the way they expect.

I believe that you're confusing the "dump_row" output with the real job output.  It really does make sense that the files you list in your message would be of exactly the same length.  For example,
you used the exact same VSDB filtering settings when generating the files "cnt_point_stat_SPFH_RMSE.vsdb" and "cnt_point_stat_SPFH_BIAS.vsdb".  The only difference is that you're looking at two
different column from the same set of VSDB lines.  So the output of "dump_row" should be the same, but the summary information that gets computed and printed to the screen should be different.

Hope that helps explain things.  Feel free to write with more questions about it.

johnhg at ucar.edu