[Met_help] help in obtaining archived PREPBUFR observations

John Halley Gotway johnhg at rap.ucar.edu
Mon Feb 9 08:41:20 MST 2009

Jonathan,

Yes, I would suggest obtaining the unblocked (*.prepbufr.unblock.nr) files and then blocking (cwordsh block) them on your machine.

If you were to obtain the already blocked files (*.prepbufr.nr), you would need to unblock (cworsh unblk) and then re-block them (cwordsh block).  So getting the unblocked files saves you one step.

I wanted to mention that we've removed the need for all this blocking and unblocking business for METv2.0.  Now we do the blocking internally in the code.  There's a compile time option you need to
select to enable this to work - you have to choose 4-byte or 8-byte blocking.  But once you get MET compiled correctly for your machine/compiler, you won't need to bother with this cwordsh step anymore.

John