[Met_help] MET/pcp_combine help

Jeffrey Duda jdduda at iastate.edu
Wed Dec 30 16:26:35 MST 2009

John,
I was able to successfully run copygb with your help and now am looking to
run pcp_combine, subtract, to get a one hour precip field from my WRF output
files.  I have isolated the two files (and actually uploaded them to the
server described in previous emails), and used the following command to run
pcp_combine assuming the following:

  "accum1" indicates the accumulation interval to be used from in_file1 in
HH format (required).   -I set this as 12
  "accum2" indicates the accumulation interval to be used from in_file2 in
HH format (required).   -I set this as 11

I got this:

/bin/pcp_combine -subtract WRFPRS_d02.012_00 12 WRFPRS_d02.011_00 11
difference.out
Reading input file: WRFPRS_d02.012_00
Reading input file: WRFPRS_d02.011_00
Performing subtraction command.
Writing output file: difference.out

Figuring that pcp_combine took the difference between two GRIB files, the
output should also be grip, no?  So I tried to convert it to view using
Grads, but got an error when I ran grib2ctl.pl:
"/grib2ctl.pl difference.out > difference_ctl.ctl
found unidentified data
Big problem:
  either difference.out is missing or not a grib file
  or wgrib is not on your path

Please help.  Thank you very much for your help so far.

Jeff Duda