[Met_help] Does MET support lat-lon grid projection?

John Halley Gotway johnhg at rap.ucar.edu
Wed Sep 24 09:38:46 MDT 2008

Steve,

To answer your question... yes, MET does support data on a lat-lon projection - as well as Lambert Conformal and Polar Stereographic.  We haven't gotten around to implementing Mercator yet but are
planning to do so for the next release of MET.

And I'd be happy to explain the gridded NetCDF format... BUT I really don't think you'll need to go that route.

The WRF-PostProcessor does support lat-lon projections.  I spoke with the support person for WPP this morning just to verify that.  WPP runs the "copygb" utility to perform the horizontal
interpolation and copygb is compatible with all of the common projection types.  You can also run copygb manually yourself to interpolate GRIB files from one projection to another.

So at this point, I'd suggest reading up on the WPP software to see if you can get it working the way you want.  If you run into problems or any questions come up, please feel free to write.  I'll do
my best to answer them or refer them to the WPP support person.