[Met_help] Questions Relating to Point_Stat (UNCLASSIFIED)

Sauter, Barbara (Civ, ARL/CISD) bsauter at arl.army.mil
Thu Sep 25 14:08:22 MDT 2008

Classification:  UNCLASSIFIED
Caveats: NONE

I'd love to use the MODE tool eventually, but initially I would like to
run the Point_Stat tool, and I am one of those people who don't learn
particularly well from written instructions only.

I have PrepBUFR and wrfout files for the same date/times, and to start
with would basically like to generate old-school mean error-type
statistics for all the parameters in all the observations available in
the PrepBUFR files, within a mask_poly for my WRF area of coverage.

Is there someone who runs Point_Stat regularly who might have sample
PB2NC configuration files, Point Stat configuration files, and WRF Post
Processor wrf_cntrl.parm files, other than the default ones?

Do I need to generate separate output files from PB2NC and from WPP for
each individual time I want to evaluate?

I see the default point_stat configuration file indicates that a
threshold has to be entered for each verification field entered.  What
if I just want ME, MAE, RMSE values for continuous variables?

Thank you,
Barb Sauter
US Army Research Laboratory
(575) 678-2840