[Met_help] Re: Problem with point-stat procedure

John Halley Gotway johnhg at rap.ucar.edu
Mon Oct 13 15:36:31 MDT 2008

Valerio,

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you.  I was out of the office last Friday.

I took a look at this issue today, and I think I know what's going on.  I believe that the grid in your GRIB file is defined in a way that we haven't encountered before.  And the library code needs to
be updated to handle your data.

Typically when defining a lat/lon grid, the GRIB file specifies the following:
- lat/lon of the lower-left corner
- lat/lon of the upper-right corner
- number of points in the lat direction
- number of points in the lon direction
- step size in the lat direction
- step size in the lon direction

In your GRIB file, it appears that the last two are omitted.  Instead they should be computed from the other values.  But I think that according to the GRIB specification, that's fine.  We just
haven't encountered this variant of GRIB yet.  So I'll try to put together a fix that will address this and send you an updated file to try.