[Met_help] MODE inputs

John Halley Gotway johnhg at rap.ucar.edu
Mon Oct 13 11:39:10 MDT 2008

Shelley,

By "postprocessed wrfout file" I assume you mean in GRIB version 1 format.  And to answer you're question, I'd say "not really".

Suppose you have a GRIB file containing several records for precipitation accumulated over 1 hour, but they have different forecast times.  In the MODE configuration file, you'd set the fcst_grib_code
= "APCP/A1" to indicate that you're interested in precipitation accumulated over 1 hour.  MODE will look in the input GRIB file for a record that matches that description and will use the first one it
encounters.  Since there's no way in the MODE config file to indicate which forecast time you're interested in, you'd only be able to access that first one.  Make sense?

If your GRIB file has multiple times in it, and you need to split it out, I'd suggest using the "copygb" utility.  With the correct arguments, copygb allows you to strip out the GRIB records you're
interested in.

A way around this that occurs to me would be to allow the user to explicitly state which GRIB record should be used in the MODE configuration file.  For example, setting fcst_grib_code = "rec122"
would mean to use the 122 record.  We could add that capability to the next version of MET, version 2.0 in February 2009.  Does that sound like it would be a useful option?

Thanks,
John Halley-Gotway
johnhg at ucar.edu