[Met_help] Re: [Fwd: sample of WRF variables' names]

John Halley Gotway johnhg at rap.ucar.edu
Fri Nov 14 16:17:14 MST 2008

Ed,

I have good news and bad news for you.

The bad news is that MET doesn't read the NetCDF output from WRF directly.  Instead, users must first post-process their data using the WRF PostProcessor.
The good news is that the WRF PostProcessor writes it's output in GRIB format which MET reads.

In fact, we chose to support GRIB first for this very reason... to be compatible with the output of WPP.

And this isn't just a file format issue.  The output of the WRF model is on native model levels on a staggered horizontal grid.  We perform verification with MET on regular grids and on pressure
levels in the vertical.  WPP destaggers the grid and may be used to derive various fields of interest.

In order to use MET, you'll need to run the WRF output through WPP.

Information about WPP and the code itself may be retrieved from the WRF-NMM users webpage:
http://www.dtcenter.org/wrf-nmm/users/

Even though it's listed on the WRF-NMM page, it may be run on ARW or NMM WRF output.

John