[Met_help] Use of the ASCII2NC utility in MET

John Halley Gotway johnhg at rap.ucar.edu
Fri Nov 14 14:41:51 MST 2008

Ed,

To answer your questions...

(1) Yes, you can build MET without BUFRLIB.  Edit the top-level Makefile (METv1.1/Makefile) and set "DISABLE_PB2NC = 1".
Then when MET is built, it will skip the step for PB2NC which is the only tool that interfaces with BUFRLIB.

When you run the test scripts, the tests that rely on the output of PB2NC will fail, but that's fine.

(2) You'll probably have trouble interfacing with those NetCDF files.  METv1.1 can read NetCDF files but only a specific format of them. We're working to make it easier to use NetCDF files in MET in
future releases, but that's not in version 1.1.  In particular, MET expects the NetCDF variables to have specific names based on the corresponding GRIB code abbreviation.  The other issue is that MET
expects the grid to be defined in the global attributes of the NetCDF file.  When using GRIB data, MET extracts the grid definition from the GRIB file itself.  In NetCDF, we expect that it's encoded
in the global attributes.

Using GRIB files would be easiest for METv1.1.  However, if you're stuck with the NetCDF files, you'll probably need to write a program to reformat them slightly to add that grid definition info and
possibly modify the variable names.

Take a look at a PCP-Combine NetCDF output file for an example of the NetCDF format MET expects:
ncdump METv1.1/out/pcp_combine/sample_fcst_12L_2005080712V_12A.nc (this is generated by the "test_all.sh" test script)

(3) To my knowledge, we have not tested MET with the Intel compilers.
Here's a list of the compilers that are known to work:
http://www.dtcenter.org/met/users/support/online_tutorial/compilation/index.php

I don't believe that we have the Intel compilers available for testing within RAL.  But I know they're on wjet over at NOAA.  So we could probably test with them over there.

Building GSL and NetCDF really isn't very difficult.  I've done it on my own machine several times.  So you could try building everything with the GNU compilers.

If you do decide to try compiling MET with the Intel compilers, please let me know how it goes.