[Met_help] Use of the ASCII2NC utility in MET

John Halley Gotway johnhg at rap.ucar.edu
Fri Nov 14 10:00:04 MST 2008

Ed,

Another thing occurred to me that I wanted to mention.  When you run Point-Stat, you can select what interpolation method(s) you'd like to use to match the gridded forecast values to the value at the
observation location.  You may want to consider using several interpolation methods to see how the verification scores change depending on the scale you're using.

This is controlled in the Point-Stat config file by setting the "interp_method" and "interp_width" parameters.  "interp_width" defines the size of the neighborhood to look at, e.g. a value of 1 means
use the nearest neighbor, 2 means look in a 2x2 box at the 4 closest grid points, and N mean look in an NxN at the N*N closest grid points.  "interp_method" defines what operation you perform on those
N*N forecast values before matching it to the observation values.  The options for "interp_method" are listed in the config file.  Personally, I like "DW_MEAN" for distance-weighted mean or "LS_FIT"
for least-squared fit.

As long as you're running Point-Stat to generate matched pairs, you might as well get as much value out of it as possible.

Just a suggestion.

John