[Fwd: Re: [Met_help] Several questions about MET]

John Halley Gotway johnhg at rap.ucar.edu
Fri Jun 20 09:15:21 MDT 2008

I forgot to copy met_help in the reply.

John

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Re: [Met_help] Several questions about MET
Date: Fri, 20 Jun 2008 09:14:09 -0600
From: John Halley Gotway <johnhg at rap.ucar.edu>
To: Jan Ploski <Jan.Ploski at offis.de>
<485AC933.3050109 at offis.de>

Jan,

(1) You're right, that's a bug.  It's listed on the MET known problems page (http://www.dtcenter.org/met/users/support/known_issues/METv1.0/index.php).  Glad you were able to fix it yourself though.

(3) Regarding the use of "autoconf", I completely agree.  That's on our list of things to do, but we just haven't gotten it done yet.

(4) METv1.0 is a relatively new package that does contain some bugs.  The next release, METv1.1, fixes all of the bugs we're currently aware of.  NCAR hasn't begun using MET in a "production
environment" to my knowledge.  I would caution against using METv1.0 in an operational setting as the sole source of verification results.  Instead, I'd recommend using the tools in more of an
evaluation mode for a time until you get more comfortable with the results you're seeing.

The "test_all" script simply calls each one of the MET tools a handful of times to ensure that there are no obvious runtime errors.  It is not an attempt to test out every feature of MET.

However, as long as the test scripts run OK and the output looks reasonable, I'd be pretty confident that your version of MET is working as expected.

(2) Regarding the BUFRLIB issue you're seeing, this means that you need to use the "cwordsh" utility to reblock the PrepBufr file AND/OR that you're trying to run MET on a 64-bit machine.

Since I believe you're machine is 64-bit, let me point you to a write-up I posted to the MET website last week:
http://www.dtcenter.org/met/users/support/known_issues/METv1.0/met_64_bit.php
The BUFRLIB issues are certainly inconvenient.  We hope to make it easier to use in the future.

John