[Met_help] question about point station verification

John Halley Gotway johnhg at rap.ucar.edu
Fri Jun 20 09:23:32 MDT 2008

LJ,

MET can read the GRIB output file from the WRF PostProcessor directly.  It reads the data in and extracts the grid information from the GRIB file.

In the Point-Stat configuration file, you need to specify how you would like to accumulate statistics.  You can specify the regions for accumulation using the predefined grids, by defining polylines,
or listing individual stations.  So if, for example, you list 1 grid, 2 polylines, and 3 station ids, Point-Stat will accumulate stats over all 6 masking regions you chose.

If you would like to just sum statistics up over your whole domain, I'd suggest defining a lat/lon polyline that fully contains your domain.  For example, just define a polyline (similar to the
example polylines in the METv1.0/data/poly directory) but with only 4 points in it.  And make sure your domain is fully contained inside those 4 lat/lon points.

When you specify "mask_stations", Point-Stat looks for them in the OBSERVATIONS.  You don't need to do anything for your domain.  You just need to set your "mask_stations" to one or more of the
station id's that exist in the observation file you're using.